Wednesday, September 17, 2008

running gone wrong...

what a morning we had...i run 2 miles three days a week...monday, wednesday & friday morning. first thing...i get it over with so i don't have it hanging over me all day. so, since derek's out of town this week, i had to figure out how i was gonna do this safely with the girls alone in the house for 20 minutes or so. no, i don't leave the house, but i run on the treadmill in the garage. so, i decided i was just gonna set my alarm for 5:00 a.m., and run before they even wake up...well, 5:00 turned to 6:00 after pushing snooze a few times and i finally got up & whispered to kaia (who had snuck into my bed in the middle of the night) that i was gonna go run and if leia wakes up, help her to potty if she needs to go & if they need me, just go in the garage and get me. okay, so off i go downstairs to stretch and into the garage i go. i'm happily running, watching the news on the t.v. i set up in there and have the fan blasting on me...as usual. about 14 minutes and almost 1 1/2 miles into it, the door opens and out comes kaia (i couldn't help but think "great, what could they possibly need me for already"). well, kaia informs me that "leia leaked at the last minute" (which means she was walking towards the potty to go and had an accident). great! so, being the "leave it to beaver mom" that i am, i say (as i'm huffing & puffing), "okay, i'm almost done...go back in there with her and keep her on the tile floor". so, she attempts to go back in and can't open the door, so i tell her, "baby, turn the knob harder". she says, "i tried...i think leia locked it". you've gotta be kidding me!!! so, after checking where i am on my mileage (of course, like any good mom would do), so i could eventually come back to finish off my 2 miles, i get off the treadmill, and yell through the door, "leia, you HAVE to unlock the door!!!" then i realize that if she doesn't, i'm gonna have to go next door to the neighbor's house with kaia, whom i've never met & borrow their phone...oh yeah, did i mention, i don't wear much when i run because it's hot and why would i...i'm in the privacy of my own house, right? i can see it now, knock, knock..."um, hi i'm your new neighbor next door and this is my daughter, kaia...my 2 year old locked us out of the house because i was out running (wearing a sports bra, and very short boy shorts that i would NEVER wear to the gym). that woulda been a great first impression. so, back to the story...after pleading with her a few times to open the door, she finally did. i have never been so relieved to hear the sound of a door unlocking. now, i'm gonna have to think of a different plan for friday's run...hopefully it goes better than today.

8 comments:

MEGAN said...

That is HILARIOUS!!!!!! Made my day!

Sarah said...

great story, stuff like that always happens to me too! I liked your pic of a big door w/ a lock too!

Sarah said...

thanks for the comment! No my husband is Japanese but part hawaiian! Is your husband Hawaiian? :) Your family is super adorable also!

Anonymous said...

lei lei! why you like make trouble for your mommy?

Unknown said...

My niece thinks it is funny to lock people out; of cars, houses, you name it. She will just sit there and laugh.

Heather said...

Oh yikes! I'm so glad she unlocked it for you!

Shan said...

thanks sarah...yes, he's 1/2 hawaiian (his dad is).

Joanna said...

That's hilarious! I love it.