Sunday, August 03, 2008

just gross!!!

i'll apologize now...this is another "poop post". last week we found a new Korean Food place (when we were in Hawaii last year, we had the BEST Korean BBQ ever & it sounded SO good), so after church today we decided to try it. so.....i don't know if you can tell, but the pic above is from MY lunch today. in the center of the pic, is a shrimp...a non-de-veined shrimp!!! i know, it's nothing new, but that's 1 thing i can't handle. every time i think about taking a bite of shrimp, i thoroughly inspect it to make sure and it's a good thing i did, cuz this one was really bad. i don't get it. why would any restaurant think it's o.k. NOT to de-vein it? why don't they just add "poop" to their menu. when i mentioned to derek that i thought i saw something dark through the outside of the shrimp (the picture was taken after derek totally opened it up), he says..."great, i just ate 3 of those". he said it SO calmly...i think i literally would have thrown up...not kidding. you should have seen my face when he had finished disecting it after he told me, "wow, that's kinda a big one". KINDA! ummmm...he described my reaction as a spasm . who wouldn't react that way (besides derek). i know, i'm kinda a "shrimp snob"...PF Changs is one of the only places i'll eat shrimp. it's safe (at least so far). BTW, who decided to call that disgusting thing a "vein"...c'mon, just call it what it is!
so, i just wanted to ask...is anyone else as grossed out as i am about this topic or am i being dramatic? even if i am being dramatic, i will never bring myself to eat a shrimp without investigating. :) do you?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

my wife is funny. i LOL'd.

Sarah said...

Okay so I am one of your blog stalker's (old friends with Joanna Kurtz) But anyways you are so not dramatic I do the same thing, that is so gross it grossed me out reading it!!

Heather said...

I'm the EXACT same way. If I see that in a shrimp I definitely DO NOT eat it. Disgusting! I am very picky about where I'll order shrimp.

Anonymous said...

we're with you shan. funny timing for this post, because i just got done de-poopveining a bag of colossal shrimp that we're having for dinner tonight (si makes a killer shrimp). it was a pretty nasty job- maybe i should leave the prep to him next time too because he told me that he likes pulling out the big ones. doesn't surprise me, he's like a little kid when it comes to poop. it's fun to do, it's fun to talk about, it's fun to look at.

so maybe we'll have some poopless shrimp on the menu when we have you for dinner soon.

barnettblend said...

I just don't eat shrimp at all... seriously, this is the biggest reason why.. :)

Jacinda said...

Wow! I'm really grossed out too, especially since I'm wondering how many times I have eaten them without any investigating. I feel kind of lame, since having no idea about the poop veins. That's "ISGUSTING" as Kiara used to say! Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

I'll admit - I'm a shrimp snob too if that's what it's called when you have to have them de-veined. It's GROSS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shan...

It's kinda normal here. I've seen that alot in local dishes. I normally would just eat them.. but now you mentioned it, it gross me out!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shan...

It's kinda normal here. I've seen that alot in local dishes. I normally would just eat them.. but now you mentioned it, it gross me out!