Thursday, June 26, 2008

i won!

every now and then, if derek and i disagree on something and think we're both right, we'll bet on something that we're right, usually we bet on a trip to jamba juice or something. but, couple of nights ago, this happened and i KNEW i was right, so i thought, "why not go for the big bucks?" so, i said if i was right, i got to spend $100 on whatever i want...guilt free. not that he ever makes me feel guilty about spending money, i'm pretty reasonable when it comes to spending. i have the occassional splurge, but so does he.

well, because of this bet that i won...i, now, finally...i have a "grown up" purse. my only other really nice purse i've ever owned was a Petunia pickle Bottom & it was a diaper bag. it was great, but too big to be an every day purse especially now that leia's 2. i haven't used it for months...i've been using a purse that i got on clearance for $10 at a shoe store which i have no problem with, in fact i am the queen of bargain shoppers. the problem with that one was that the inside lining was tearing and ever time i tried to get something out of it, when i finally could find it (which was usually between the liner and the actual purse) i pulled a bunch of strings and thread out along with it.

anyways...all of that to say that i've need a new purse for a really long time. i'm not the type of person who needs a brand name purse, but, i just wanted a real leather, easy accesible, good quality purse...so off to "Nordstrom Rack" i go...there was nothing i really liked there. then, i head for "Off 5th"...and the only one i liked there was still a whopping $339 and that was like a 1/3 of the original price. i was getting really frustrated (did i mention that i was doing this with kaia and leia and NO stroller...bad idea). so, we leave the mall and about to head home and then i remember that we were close to a wonderful resale store called Plato's Closet, they have so many cute used clothes and purses that are brand name (if you haven't been there, you gotta go)...and i had a 20% off punch card that i had totally filled up. we were on our way...i walk in hoping they have something...anything, close to what i want. i walk in and head to the wall of purses...i see a bunch of the coach purses with the "C's" all over them (which are nice, but not what i'm looking for), then the owner of the store recognizes me and asks if she can help me find something. so, i tell her that i'm looking for a brown leather purse. she gets out her little hook thing and reaches up for one she said they just bought from someone like 1 hour earlier. it was perfect, even better than the $339 one and it looked brand new! i look at the price...$125, and with my 20% off coupon...$100 (exactly what i had won in our bet!) i bought it without a 2nd thought. so, last night derek and i looked it up to see what the original price is...$398! needless to say i am SO proud of my find. i feel like such an adult! oh, and thanks babe! :)

7 comments:

bennett baby blog said...

you are the ultimate bargain shopper! congrats on the great find. sounds like that purse was made for you to own it!

Jacinda said...

That is so awesome! I would probably never have a wager for so high with Brian, cause he's usually right. Don't tell him I admitted that! But I understand your desire for a grown up purse. I finally got one for my birthday and then the leather strap started breaking 2 months later. So I'm in the same boat as I was before my birthday last year. Your purse is super cute! love the color. I'll have to check out Plato's closet. We have one too and I've never been. I'm also a major deal shopper. We should hang out!

elaine said...

Great find! We need to go there next time we are in Cali...

Anonymous said...

i'm a bargain shopper too- finding a great deal is the best. love the purse...so sophisticated. i'm usually right when si and i disagree on something, but we never bet...so i think i'll definitely try it next time.

Joanna said...

So cute! I love it. I finally got to splurge on a cute Coach bag last year for my birthday. It was over a year ago and I still haven't used anything else since...I figure I better get my money's worth! :)

barnettblend said...

What was the bet that you won?? :)

Anonymous said...

OMGosh. That is the greatest thing ever. Yay you. I love stuff like that and hope that it is exactly what you wanted.