Tuesday, April 08, 2008

love you forever

i was reading this book to leia the other day after we got back home from taking kaia to pre-school. i had read it many times before without even feeling like crying. i don't know what it was...maybe it had to do with the fact that i had just read heather's blog entry (titled "I am never leaving"), about how their oldest daughter was crying after she figured out a song/video she was listening to was about a daughter getting married & leaving home and that she never wants to leave home, or jacinda's blog entry (titled "i just wasn't ready"), about her decision to wait to put her daughter, kiara (who's kaia's age) in kindergarten until next year. maybe it has to do with the fact that i'm thinking about how leia will be 2 in 2 months...i don't know. all i know is that i was reading this story as usual & i had to stop to try to hold back my tears...first discreetly, then leia looked up at me to see what the problem was & as i looked into her eyes, i pictured her being in pre-school in a couple of years and i lost it. i went from calm tears to practically bawling. leia looked so confused, like "what happened to my story?" she reached her little arm up a hugged my neck...that made me cry even more. what's funny is that i used to think the story was sweet, but i thought part of it was very unrealistic and kinda weird. it's the part of the story where the mom's son had moved out of the house and late at night, she drove across town with a ladder on top of her car as she headed over to her son's house...when she gets there she climbs up the ladder to her son's window and climbs in and holds him like a baby & sings to him while he sleeps. weird, right? not this day...i totally understood why she did that (at least at the time i did). anyways, if your kids don't have this book...i recommend it. my girls love it (especially when i get all the way through it, sorry leia).
even though it's a great story, Lord, please make sure i don't ever climb up a ladder into their bedrooms when they move out one day...no matter how much i miss 'em. :)

4 comments:

bennett baby blog said...

awww... that makes ME want to cry too! and caleb's only a month old! what a sweetie lei lei is for trying to comfort her mommy. i love that little girl!

Anonymous said...

I love that book....it still makes me cry.....and I've read it to all my sons.....bought the book 20 years ago when Daley turned 1....now in three weeks he will be 21......6'2"....skinny as can be....but if he lets me....I will still, occasionally, hold my first baby...and I still, sometimes, sneak into his room....just to watch that beautiful boy/man sleep.....I don't think that ever goes away.....at least I hope not:)

HeatherC said...

I choke up every time..... :)

Jacinda said...

That is awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one who loses it! I remember the illustration of the mother rocking her grown son. You definitely wouldn't understand unless you're a mother. Still, I hope I'm never the crazy mom with a ladder either.